Tuesday, April 21, 2015

CHAPTER FIVE FINDING SAMANTHA—SAVING HER LIFE (23rd installment, Scruggs and Samantha, by Mary de la Pena)

CHAPTER FIVE

FINDING SAMANTHA—SAVING HER LIFE
(23rd   installment, Scruggs and Samantha, by Mary de la Pena)


With Scruggs safe I stood for a moment idly rubbing Scruggs’s nose as I tried to think through the problem.  Again I dialed my husband’s cell phone, hoping I could catch him between appearances.  Again it went straight to voicemail. I hung up the phone without leaving a message.  I didn’t know what to say.  How could I tell him in a voice message that his kitten was gone?  How would he take the disappointment?  With our current state of cold war, would he immediately jump to blame?
I paced in front of Scruggs’s cage with him following my every step, his eyes never leaving me.  His face was a study of intensity.  He was mirroring my mood as well as my steps, trying as only dogs can to help me solve my dilemma. 
“Okay, Scruggs,” I said.  “What should I do?  Do I find another kitten, or do I just walk away?”
He froze in mid-step, his front foot raised, his tail held erect, and his ears pricked. 
I asked again.  “What should I do?  Kitten or no kitten?”
With the second question he came to the cage gate, pressing his nose through the fence, inviting me to rub him.  As I pressed my fingers through the mesh to pet his whiskered face, he sighed.  Then he backed up, sat down, and turned his face toward the door leading outside to the cat ward.
“Scruggies, come here, Scruggs,” I coaxed.
He started to come to me, then sat down and stared at the door leading out from the dog kennels to the cat ward.
I stared hard at him.  It was crazy; dogs don’t understand questions like the one I had asked him. I was going too far in my insanity.  I knew I had gone around the bend, off the pier, and over the dam— all the inane idioms for having lost my mind.
Yet, there he sat idly, catching my eye and then rolling his eyes toward the door. I thrust my fingers through the gate again and called him to me.  He did not move.  He just kept doing the crazy eye thing, making contact with my eyes and then looking at the door.
Okay, I thought, crazier things have happened.  Not much crazier, mind you, but still, weird things have happened between me and my animals, leaving me to believe that God uses animals sometimes to reach us when He thinks we need to listen to Him.
I shrugged, and finally said, “Okay, Scruggs, be that way.  I’ll go look.”
The words had no sooner left my mouth when he began his happy dance, joyfully twirling and prancing, his tail wagging in pleasure.  As I stepped toward his cage to give him one final pat, he froze, refusing to come to the cage door, staring hard at me, then shifting his gaze to the door.
“Okay, okay, don’t nag,” I said.  “I’m going, I’m going!”
As I entered the cat ward, the same volunteer I had spoken with three days earlier was going through the cages, removing kittens and cats, and placing them in a larger cage on wheels.  Her shoulders were slumped and she held each kitten close to her as she removed them from their cages.  Each cat she held was silent and frozen in her arms.  Resignation emanated from the human and the felines.
I gasped as I realized what she was doing.  She was culling the cats to be euthanized!
Just as the conscious thought formed she reached into the cage holding the small black kitten I had played with the week before. But this kitten did not lie quietly in her arms.  It began to purr so loudly I could hear her from across the room.
Without thinking I sprang across the distance in what must have been one leap. 
“No!” I cried, “That kitten is mine!  Please, don’t take her away!  Please, please, please, don’t take her!”
The worker whirled around just as my outstretched hands reached her to take the kitten from her grasp.
Tears sprang to her eyes as she gently placed the purring kitten in my hands.  “Thank God,” was all she said.
I snuggled the tiny kitten in my arms as she continued to purr.  Seeing the volunteer’s tears and feeling the soft fur of the kitten I held, I knew I had arrived just in time to find the right fit to my house.  This tiny black kitten with the copper-hued eyes was going home with Scruggs and me.
Holding her close, I thought of a black cat I had owned many years ago.  I had named him Merlin after the magician.  It had only seemed fitting to name a black cat after a famous sorcerer.  But the kitten I held was a female.  She needed a girl’s name.  Without much of a conscious thought, Samantha of Bewitched jumped to mind.
Of course!  My little black kitten should be named after a famous witch!
“Samantha,” I said.  “Your name is Samantha.”
I rubbed her face and cuddled her a little more.  The volunteer handed me her card, then gently took the kitten from me.
“Samantha is a good name for her,” she said.  “I’m glad she’s got a home.”
I tapped my finger on her cage and watched her skitter to my fingers, then arch her back and skitter away.

Peace again settled into my psyche.  I had made good decisions.  A dog’s and a kitten’s lives were saved, and I was ready to leave that place. 

No comments:

Post a Comment