Tuesday, March 3, 2015

SCRUGGS and SAMANTHA CHAPTER TWO AFTER THE DECISION--BUREAUCRACY AT ITS WORST (10th installment of Scruggs and Samantha)

SCRUGGS and SAMANTHA
CHAPTER TWO
AFTER THE DECISION--BUREAUCRACY AT ITS WORST
(10th installment of Scruggs and Samantha,
How a Shelter Dog and Kitten Saved Cinderella’s Marriage)

Having made the decision that Scruggs was coming home with me, I thought the difficult part of adopting a needy animal was over.  After all, I had just suffered through my own personal hell of walking the aisles of cages, coaxing and cajoling animals to respond, and looking into the eyes of too many animals while seeing hopelessness and death written on their faces.  I had persevered and made my choices; the rest wasn’t supposed to be that hard.
Easy as pie, I thought.


So, okay, for those of you who have actually made a pie, is it really all that easy?  I’ve tried to make crust from scratch.  I did all the things my grandmother did, except I actually measured the flour and the salt and the shortening.  She never did.  My Grandmother Carrie never measured anything when she cooked.  She would grab a couple of handfuls of flour, scoop out shortening with a wooden spoon, pinch some salt into the bowl, and mix it all with her fingers.  Then she threw it on a floured bread board, swiped it a few times with a rolling pin, and voilà, pie crust.  Better yet, it always seemed to fit the glass pie pan she used. It was easy for her. 
For me, not so much.  Where my grandmother’s crusts were always flaky and delicious, mine resembled browned cardboard. 
But I wasn’t making a pie, I was adopting animals.  I was saving a life!  I was blessed by God, and His angels would pave the way for me.  Unfortunately, my angels must have been on their lunch break.
Adopting the animals turned out to be like making a pie crust.  Success was not a foregone conclusion. 
As I waited in the interminable line, I watched the four staff members in t-shirts as they worked to perfect their bureaucratic demeanor.  There were two younger women who frowned, scowled, and sniffed their way through the steady stream of anxious people standing in line. In my mind I dubbed them “Precious Princess One” and “Precious Princess Two”.  They were too young and too pretty and obviously used the power of those two strengths to their complete advantage.  Nothing about them exuded humility or affability.  The lone male was a young man who refused to make eye contact, keeping his head down as he answered the phones and tapped information into his computer.  A fourth attendant, a slightly older woman, worked the phones at the other end of the counter from the young man.  Her tone was soft, her words muffled.  Watching them work, I felt panic again creep up my spine as a drama began to unfold in front of me. 
A gray-haired African-American woman hobbled up to the counter, and rested her cane against its top.  She handed a ticket to Precious Princess One, a dark-eyed brunette, who flipped her hair and rolled her eyes, barely concealed disrespect coloring her voice as she answered the questions of people seeking her help.
I held my breath as Precious Princess One reached for the ticket.
 “I got this ticket for my son’s dogs running loose,” said the gray-haired woman.  “They all tell me I got to get them shots.  I can’t afford no shots.”
The girl flipped her dark brown hair over her shoulder and sighed a bored sigh as she took the ticket from the outstretched hand.  “We have low-cost vaccinations here at the shelter,” she said.  “You’ll have to make an appointment.”


“Can I make an appointment then?” asked the woman. 
“All of the August and September appointments are full,” the girl said, not making eye contact.
“But I have to go to court and show I licensed the dogs on September thirteenth,” the woman answered, obviously looking for some help.
“We can’t license your dogs without a certificate showing they have been vaccinated,” the girl said, still not looking up toward the woman to whom she was speaking.
“But I told you,” the woman said, “I don’t have the money for the shots and I have to have them licensed before I go to court.”
“Ma’am,” the girl said, again sighing, “we don’t have any appointments open until October, and we don’t start taking appointments until mid-September for October.”
“But I need to get the dogs licensed now!” the woman said, exasperation clearly coloring the tone of her voice.
“Ma’am,” the girl said, finally looking at the woman, “You don’t need to use that tone with me.  You need to have your dogs vaccinated and proof of them being spayed or neutered before I can issue them a license.”
“Spayed or neutered,” the woman said, now nearing panic.  “I don’t have a certificate showing they are neutered.  Can’t you just look at them and tell that?”
“Ma’am,” the girl said, using her most officious voice, “I warned you about your tone.  I am not going to help you if you continue to use that tone with me.”
Tone my eye!  From what I could see, the girl’s attitude was the problem. From where I was standing, the woman with the tickets for the dogs was asking all the right questions.  I couldn’t believe that this girl was accusing her of using a “tone.”  Had it been me, I would have been tempted to reach over the counter and tell Precious Princess One that she was speaking to a woman twice her age and should use a little respect.  It was clear the older woman was trying to do the right thing but was getting no help from the person charged with assisting her. But I also recognized it would be a stand-off if the woman at the counter did not get some help.  So I stepped in to see what I could do to assist her.
“Here, Ma’am,” I said, “Can I see your ticket?”
Precious Princess One rolled her eyes at me and sniffed.  “Next!” she said as she turned away from both of us.
The ticket had the older woman going to the local courthouse to appear before a commissioner with whom I was familiar.  He was a reasonable person, wanting only for people to act responsibly.  He would be sensitive to this woman’s needs.
“Here’s what you do,” I said, handing back the ticket to her. “Go to court and tell the commissioner that you tried to license your dog, but you need more time to make an appointment with the low-cost vaccination clinic.  Ask him for a ‘continuance’ to comply.  Also, you might try some of the local pet stores.  Occasionally, they have low-cost clinics.  You might inquire there.”
“So why didn’t that sassy-pants tell me that?” the woman asked, jutting her chin toward the girl behind the counter.
A voice from behind the counter piped in with, “Ma’am, I told you all that.”
Seeing that a fight was beginning to erupt, I took the woman gently by the shoulder and steered her out of the office.  Once outside the woman’s shoulder’s began to slump.
“They’re my grandson’s dogs,” she said.  “And, if they get taken away, it will break his heart.  I told my son to take care of it, but he doesn’t have the time.  He’s working two jobs as it is.”
I made some murmuring sounds at her and gave her one of my business cards.
“Call me if you have trouble, okay?” I said.  “If nothing else, tell the bailiff you spoke with me at the shelter and I told you what to do.  He’s a good man and he’ll tell the judge.”

With that, the woman hobbled away, shoulders still slumped.

No comments:

Post a Comment