Tuesday, May 5, 2015

CHAPTER SEVEN A TEST OF HEARTS—A COURTROOM BATTLE (27TH installment, Scruggs and Samantha, by Mary de la Pena)

CHAPTER SEVEN
A TEST OF HEARTS—A COURTROOM BATTLE

After the fight with Precious Princess One and Two, I was exhausted and emotionally drained. I knew that but for the intervention of my prince charming I could have lost both Scruggs and Samantha. It was a loss I knew I could not have withstood.
As I left the Pomona Valley Humane Society, my emotions overwhelmed me again.  Twink was gone, but God had given me a glimpse of the man I loved and thought was lost to me.  However, the test of wills at the shelter had severely tested my self-confidence in my ability to problem-solve.  I ping-ponged between elation and sorrow, confidence and trepidation, and exasperation and smug self-congratulation. My emotions finally rested in the familiar zone of depression.
My appearance at court was supposed to be brief and should have been very routine.  It was a simple misdemeanor pretrial where all I had to do was speak to the prosecutor about a potential plea agreement, then put the matter over to a new date for my client to appear to enter his plea.  But instead of a simple in-and-out appearance, it became another test of my will and desire to continue practicing criminal defense.
Over the years I had become almost immune to the insults leveled at me and my clients.  I had heard it all: Officers told me I had “gone to the dark side” when I left the District Attorney’s Office. The public asked me, “How could you represent guilty people?”  And some people called my clients miscreants and evil.  But in my heart I had always known I did the work to protect others, the innocent public who would have unwittingly given up their constitutional rights had someone not taken a stand to keep the justice system honest.
But that day in August, my patience had already been tested beyond my ability to withstand another insult.  The Precious Princesses had depleted my store of good humor, and my emotions were rubbed raw.  Thus, when faced with a new deputy who was hiding her inexperience by a show of bravado and insult, I flashed my anger in return.
“Your client beat the hell out of his girlfriend,” she said.
“Yes, I know,” I answered.  “That’s why we’re just looking for a plea offer.”
“But your client is an animal,” she said.  “You know he split her lip and bruised her eye?”
“Yes,” I answered, smothering my irritation. 
“I don’t know why it was only filed as a misdemeanor,” she said, flipping through the police reports.  “It should have been a felony.  If he doesn’t take the deal today, I’ll refile it as a felony.”
“My client’s not here today,” I answered, my patience worn thin.  “I’m here to get the offer, then relay it to him.”
“Well, we don’t do that in this courtroom,” she said.  “Defendants are expected to be in court on their pre-trials.”
I found myself clenching my fists in anger.  She was wrong, of course.  I had been coming to that courtroom and appearing in front of that judge for more than twelve years.  The customary practice was that when a defendant hired a private lawyer they did not have to be present in court for misdemeanor pre-trials.  The young D.A. was either flexing her muscles or terribly ignorant.
I tried again.  “This is my first pretrial on this case,” I said, using my patient voice, while picturing in my mind slamming her head repeatedly into counsel table.  “It is customary for me to get the offer and then relay it to my client.  I am sure the judge won’t have a problem with that.”
She responded with the “sniff.”  What was with all the young women crossing my path that day?  Did they all have allergies?  Did I smell?  Or were they just using the universal gesture of disgust?
I again clenched my fists at the perceived insult.  Enough!  I had enough of the disdain for one day.  I turned on my heel and walked away.  My anger was surging and I needed more space between me and the young prosecutor, afraid I would take action on my imaginings.
About that time the judge retook the bench.  He smiled at me as the clerk handed him my file.
“Good morning Mrs. de la Peña.  How are you this almost afternoon?”
I knew I was late getting to court, and I also knew he wasn’t insulting me, but my patience was gone.  I tried to smile back, but I know it came across as a grimace.
The judge picked up the file and asked me if my client was present.  To which I started to state I was appearing “9-7-7,” a code to say my client was not in court that day and I was alone.  Unfortunately for me, the D.A. immediately interrupted me.
“The defendant is not here today, your honor,” she said.  “The People request a bench warrant issue.  I have also told defense counsel that if her client does not take the offer today, we will refile as a felony.”
That did it!  I’d had my fill of young women trying to use their perceived authority to usurp my position, first as an animal adoptee, and then as a defense lawyer. 
I whirled on the D.A. and almost hissed my disapproval.  The clerk and the bailiff heard my intake of breath.  They knew me well and knew I was the more volatile of the de la Peña partnership.  The clerk’s eyes widened and the bailiff stepped around from behind his desk, each preparing for the eruption they were sure was to happen.
The judge also knew me well. He held up his hand to stop me before I started, knowing there could be proverbial bloodshed, or at least a verbal drubbing of the young prosecutor.  I took the hint and closed my mouth.
“Mrs. de la Peña, I see this is your first pretrial on this matter and I assume you are appearing 9-7-7.  Without your client here, I presume you cannot tender the offer to him.  You will have him here at the next date?  What date did you want?” he asked, almost smiling.
With those simple words he had told the prosecutor it was sufficient for me to appear without my client.  But it left on the table the matter as to whether the offer for a plea bargain would remain open.
I desperately wanted to snitch on the young woman sitting at counsel table.  I briefly imagined storming up to her supervisor’s office and laying on him the insults she had tendered in court.  But it would have been only temporary revenge to rub her nose in her inexperience.  She would spread stories of my transgressions throughout the minions of younger D.A.’s and my reputation would suffer.  My years of experience told me to just be humble and swallow my anger.
“Your Honor,” I answered, “about the misdemeanor plea, will it remain open?”
“Speak with the D.A.,” he answered.  “I am sure her office wishes to dispose of this case without further delay or cost.  Filing a felony would incur both.”
As I turned back to the D.A., she again sniffed at me, saying, “This judge always expects the defendant to be present at pre-trials.  Also, I will speak with my office about refiling this as a felony.” 
At that point there was nothing I could do.  My client was not present because he was at work.  The chance of me getting a hold of him and into court was certainly impossible.  I had no real choice other than to do the criminal defense lawyer equivalent of a “throw-down.”
“Fine,” I answered.  “You do that.”
Again she sniffed and snapped her file shut.
I hoped my bravado was not an exercise in folly.  This wasn’t the first time I had represented this client with regards to his unhealthy relationship with that girlfriend.  It was usually mutual combat, but in keeping with the idea that someone had to go to jail when there was blood spilled, it usually was my client who spent the night in jail.  All I could do was hope the reviewing felony deputy would decide the case was more trouble than it was worth and let the original offer stand until the next pretrial.

By the time the judge recalled the case and we set dates for the next appearance, I had a splitting headache.  My jaw hurt from clenching it and I had deep grooves in the palm of my hands from my fingernails.  Worse yet, I was again feeling impotent.  

No comments:

Post a Comment